The YorkMix / York Literature Festival poetry competition 2015 is open, with a first prize of £400. Read all about it here.
Here are the full rules. If you have any questions, please contact us on [email protected].
1. Poems may be on any subject.
2. Poems must be original work and not previously published in a collection or anthology, newspaper or poetry magazine. Work that has been posted in a closed poetry group online, or a personal blog online are eligible. Poems that have been broadcast on radio or podcasted online are not allowed.
3. Poems must not be longer than 40 lines, and must fit on a single A4 page. Poems must be in English. Poems must show the title and poem only. The poet’s name must not appear on the poem.
4. Poems must be submitted via the form on our entry page here
Attachments are preferred in Word (.doc or .docx format) or PDF
5. Poets may enter as many poems as they wish. The minimum entry fee is £5 for a single poem. For an entry fee of £10, poets may enter up to five poems. Poems may not be amended or edited after submission.
6. No poet may win more than one cash prize.
7. Closing date: Deadline is midnight on Saturday, February 28, 2015.
8. The competition is open to anybody resident in the UK aged 18 or over. Entries from outside the UK will not be eligible. Non-UK citizens currently residing in the UK are eligible to enter (e.g. overseas students attending a UK educational establishment).
9. Copyright in submitted poems remains with the author. Entrants agree to allow their poems to be featured fee-free on YorkMix.com, and the website of York Literature Festival. Poems may not be published elsewhere before December 31, 2015, without the permission of York Literature Festival.
10. York Literature Festival Committee members are not eligible to enter.
11. Winners will receive payment by cheque.
12. The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
13. Entrants agree to have their email address added to the York Literature Festival and YorkMix.com mailing list, but can unsubscribe at any time.
14. Judge Carole Bromley will read all entries; all entries will be presented to the judge anonymously.
15. Entry implies acceptance of all rules.
16. Prizewinners and commended poets will be contacted (by email or phone) 14 days before the prize-giving event.
17. Poets entering more than five poems will have to make a separate entry.
To pay by PayPal you do not need a PayPal account. All major credit cards are accepted.