It is the pub that bears the city’s name.
But the York Arms has closed without warning.
The popular venue on High Petergate – probably the closest pub to York Minster – has been shut for several days.
Normally open between 11am-11pm, there is no sign up to explain why it has closed.
The pub’s phone was not being answered today. It is owned by the Samuel Smith’s Brewery, but no one there has responded to our request for a comment.
It is the latest Sam Smith’s pub to close without warning in York.
Both have since reopened.
The York Arms is housed in a Grade II listed building dating from Victorian times.
In previous incarnations the pub was Carr’s Coffee House, the Chapter Coffee House, the Eclipse and the Board.
According to Hugh Murray’s book A Directory of York Pubs, it had settled on the name the York Arms by 1861.
It is also known as a gay-friendly pub.