Organisers of a brand new music festival for York have taken the ‘unavoidable’ decision to cancel the event.
York Festival was due to take place from 19-21 June at York Sports Club on Shipton Road.
Billed as “a new festival for an ancient city”, promoters Cuffe and Taylor had lined up global star Lionel Richie alongside Madness and Westlife as headliners.
By February 17,000 tickets had already been sold.
Ticketholders had been getting in touch about the future of the event in these changed circumstances. Organisers said on Tuesday (7 April) there was no update.
But this lunchtime they said that both the York Festival, and the programme of events Cuffe and Taylor stage at Scarborough, were cancelled.
‘Safety comes first’
Here is the full statement issued today:
We are sad to announce both York Festival and the 2020 programme at Scarborough Open Air Theatre will not go ahead.
We did not want to take this step but it was unavoidable. The health and safety of concert-goers, artists, staff and community will always be our top priority.
We are working with our ticketing partners and they will contact customers very soon to process refunds.
Peace, love, kindness and thanks.
Macy Gray, All Saints, Lightning Seeds and Lighthouse Family were also announced as support acts at the event.