Woman rescued from upstairs window after being trapped by York house fire

Library photograph: YorkMix
20 Jun 2018 @ 5.24 pm
| News

Firefighters rescued a woman via an upstairs window after she became trapped by a fire on the ground floor.

Crews from York, Acomb and Huntington were called out to the blaze at about 1.20pm on Wednesday (June 20).

It was in a terraced house in the Layerthorpe area.

A woman in her early 30s was trapped upstairs by the flames and smoke. After calling for help she was given survival advice by fire control over the phone until she was rescued through the window by firefighters.

She suffered from smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene by paramedics. Two dogs were also rescued by fire crews.

The blaze had started in a tumble drier, due to a suspected electrical fault. Firefighters used a ventilation fan to clear smoke from the house.