If you’re wracking your brains over what to get that awkward loved one for Christmas, fret no more. This week York is hosting a series of markets selling quirky, unusual, crafty and off-the-wall gifts so you’re bound to find something they’d like.
From dolls furniture to Star Wars masks, from vintage clothes to vintage port, there is an array of lovely Christmas presents waiting for a home. Here’s your full guide…
York Does Vintage
Sunday, December 2
If it’s vintage, it’s here: crockery, furniture, prints, kitchenalia, homewares, jewellery and accessories. You can also scoff cakes and mince pies at the tearoom, try lindy-hop dancing, get pampered at the beauty bar, dabble in the vintage-inspired workshops and encourage the little ones to get creative in the children’s corner.
- Where: Merchant Adventurers’ Hall, York
- When: 10.30am-5.30pm, Sunday, December 2
- More details: On the York Does Vintage Facebook page
Movie Buffs Fair
Sunday, December 2
The sales force is strong with this one… If you know someone who’s a sucker for sci-fi, a fan of fantasy or just generally movie mad, this is the place to be. On show will be props from the Titanic movie, all sorts of other memorabilia and you can meet two special guests, Jeremy Bulloch, who played Boba Fett in Star Wars, and Shane Rimmer, the voice of Scott Tracy from Thunderbirds.
- Where: Royal York Hotel, York
- When: 10.30am-4pm, Sunday, December 2
- Tickets: Adults £3.50, children £2
- More details: On the Movie Buffs Fair website
York Dolls House & Miniatures Fair
Sunday, December 2
Presented by the publishers of Dolls House And Miniature Scene magazine, this is where the little people hang out. Exhibitors are on three floors showing dolls, furniture, houses and more. More than 80 per cent of the items on sale are handmade, and there are a series of craft workshops too.
- Where: York Racecourse
- When: 10.30am to 4pm, Sunday, December 2
- Tickets: Adults £4.50, children £2
- More details: On the Collectors Club of Great Britain website
St Nicholas Fayre
Until Sunday, December 2
Some of you are already veterans of this year’s fayre, having made it round all the stalls, tried out the free samples, carted bag-fulls of gifts halfway round York and collapsed on the sofa with a glass of wine. If you’ve not made it yet, the merry market continues till Sunday. Here’s our full guide.
- Where: York city centre, including Parliament Street and Coppergate
- When: 9am-6.30pm, till Sunday, December 2
- More details: Our guide’s as good as any
York’s Festive Fayre
Wednesday, December 5 to Sunday, December 23
If you miss St Nick’s Fayre, panic not. There are a series of York festive fayres throughout December, featuring stallholders selling their wares from those wooden huts we know and love. You’ll find something nice, then our advice is to head for a nearby hostelry to celebrate.
- Where: It’s in Parliament Street, York – where else?
- When: Wednesday, December 5, 9.30am to 6.30pm; Thursday, December 6 to Saturday, December 8 9.30am to 7.30pm; Sunday, December 9 to Wednesday, December 12 9.30am to 6.30pm; Thursday, December 13 to Saturday, December 15 9.30am to 7.30pm; Sunday, December 16 to Wednesday, December 19 9.30am to 6.30pm; Thursday, December 20 to Saturday, December 22 9.30am to 7.30pm; Sunday, December 23 9.30am to 6.30pm
- More details: Try the Visit York website
Yorkshire Best @ Christmas
Sunday, December 9
Showcasing the region’s creative talent, Yorkshire Best offers gifts, art and food and drink from businesses across God’s own county. Set within the 14th Century Hospitium, Yorkshire Best is “all about quality and luxury”. Organisers promise live festive music, delicious hot food, workshops, cupcakes, competitions, and Santa of course.
- Where: The Hospitium in Museum Gardens, York
- When: 10.30am to 4.30pm, Sunday, December 9
- More details: On the Yorkshire Best Facebook page