Two men taken to hospital after fire in York city centre

Library photograph: YorkMix

Three men suffered smoke inhalation after a fire at a city centre business.

An electric bike caught fire in The Electric Transport Shop on Walmgate.

Three fire crews from Acomb and York were called out at 3.18pm on Thursday (12 December)

The fire destroyed the bike and caused 20% smoke and heat damage to the workshop and adjoining shop.


Staff used six different fire extinguishers to tackle the fire before the brigade arrived.

The Walmgate Nursery next door was evacuated.

Two ambulances were sent to the scene, and two men were taken to hospital suffering from the effects of smoke. One man was treated at the scene.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *