Watch a toilet race a Dalek, or soap stars play football this weekend. There’s lots to do outside your front door so grab your brolly and/or suncream and get cracking with our comprehensive What’s On Guide.
Ding ding! Round One is the name of a very different night of variety, staged in – a boxing ring. Launched by the Arts Barge Project, the venture sees local performers dole out 12 short, sharp rounds of drama, comedy, music and poetry. Should be a knockout. Saturday, 8.30pm at York Boxing Club.
Racing at Elvington
Want to try something different this weekend? Look no further than Elvington Airfield as head to head attempts are made to claim a British National Record with prizes for the Top Bike, World’s Fastest Woman, UK’s Fastest Truck and Three Wheelers. Just to add to the excitement, there will be some racing Daleks and perhaps even a racing toilet – if you’re lucky. This Saturday and Sunday, May 17-18 from 9.15am – 6pm.
Trains in pictures
A new photo exhibition opens at the National Railway Museum telling the story of British train makers. Fhis Friday, May 16 until Sunday, September 7 from 10am – 6pm.
- Find out more
- Check out the Le Tour de France exhibition at York Quilt Museum this Friday from 10am
- Also St John’s University have a new exhibition Pamplemousse this Friday from 10am
Emmerdale vs York City
These two feisty teams of Yorkshire folk battle it out for charity at Bootham Crescent this Sunday, May 18 from 3pm. Donate some money towards Snappy, Martin House Children’s Hospice and many more while enjoying the friendly competition.
- For more information
- More charity fundraising with York Swings Against Cancer at Joseph Rowntree Theatre this Sunday from 7pm
- And The Madness Mind Festival at House of the Trembling Madness this Saturday from 1pm
York Guildhall Orchestra
Ingest some culture with York Guildhall Orchestra performing famous symphonic pieces like Walt Disney’s the Sorcerer’s Apprentice and the Planets Suite by Gustav Holst. In the spacious venue of York Barbican you’ll be transported to magical lands and kingly courts this Saturday, May 17 from 7.30pm.
- Find out more
- Or find Music for Inner Peace at the De Grey Rooms this Saturday from 7pm
- Music lovers can also check out the Record Fair at the Basement, Saturday from 10am.
Fashion City York
York has always been the home of quirky, vintage fashion – and now Fashion City York is celebrating this. With a weekend of fashion shows, special offers and living windows you can see what York has to offer this Saturday and Sunday, 17-18 May from 9am – 6pm in St Sampson’s Square.
- It’s Fashion City York weekend – Dress up, go out and have fun
- Full list of Fashion City York events