Seven weeks of disruption are on the cards for road users as key York junction undergoes a major upgrade.
Ageing and outdated traffic signals at the Monk Bar junction of St Maurice’s Road, Monkgate and Lord Major’s Walk are set to be replaced next month by City of York Council.
For more details about the scheme, see our story here.
Works are estimated to take around seven weeks to complete, starting on Saturday 8 February, working between 9am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday and 8am and 4pm at weekends.
Resurfacing works will take place overnight from Sunday 22 March for up to seven nights, from 8pm til 5am.
FAQs about the roadworks
The following restrictions will be in place during the works:
- Road closure of Monkgate / Goodramgate to all motor vehicles between the junctions of St Maurice’s Road and Aldwark / Ogleforth from Saturday 8 to Friday 14 February. This will be between 10:30am and 5pm each day of the closure. Local diversions will be in place to allow access to / from the city centre in this area. Pedestrians and pedal cyclists will be able to continue to use this route during the motor vehicle closure
- Banning of the right turn from Lord Major’s Walk into Monkgate / Goodramgate for all vehicles. This will be in place for all the works period in order to maximise throughput at the junction and reduce overall delay to users. A local diversion using Monkgate will be in place
- Part overnight closure of the junction to all vehicles to allow for resurfacing of the junction. See below for more details on resurfacing
The works will be carried out between 8pm and 5am working Sunday to Thursday and will include resurfacing the road and the reinstatement of all road markings.
To minimise disruption the resurfacing work will be carried out in two phases as follows:
Phase 1 – Sun 22 March to Thu 26 March: Jewbury/St Maurice’s Road and Goodramgate closed with traffic on Lord Mayor’s Walk and Monkgate down to a single lane operating under lane closures and temporary lights. Jewbury/St Maurice’s Road will be turned in to a 2-way road allowing access and egress to and from the hotels only (no through traffic). Access and egress will only be granted to St Maurice’s Road/Jewbury from the direction of Layerthorpe/Foss Islands Road/Peasholme Green. The slip road on Foss Bank to Jewbury will also be closed.
During phase 1 Service 14 bus service will be diverted via Layerthorpe, Eboracum Way and Heworth Green. Buses from the direction of Haxby to York/Foxwood will not be affected.
Phase 2 – Sun 29 March – Mon 30 March: All roads will remain open with traffic on Lord Mayor’s Walk and Monkgate down to a single lane.
What the upgrade will do
The scheme at the junction will include:
- replacing outdated traffic signals with new, more reliable ones
- widening the crossing island to make it easier for groups of people to cross safety
- reducing Monkgate north to a single traffic lane to allow for a wider cycle lane
- improving the footways by resurfacing / renewing them
- resurfacing of the full junction carriageway.
There are full details on the City of York Council Monk Bar page.