A familiar riverside landmark has disappeared – for the time being.
The Blue Bridge was lifted up, up and away today ready for its big clean.
It has been out of bounds for a month as part of the renovation programme.
But today the bridge was winched away from the River Foss, and loaded onto a trailer.
Gwen Swinburn captured these photographs of the operation.
A temporary walkway and bridge has been put in place for pedestrians and cyclists.
The bridge work will include general painting and repairs to the bridge parapet railings, the removal of old paintwork and steelwork repairs.
The Blue Bridge history
The Blue Bridge is found at the confluence of both York’s rivers, the Foss and the Ouse, and links St George’s Field with New Walk.
The first wooden bridge was built in 1738 and painted blue. The current version dates from 1929.
Alongside the bridge were two large cannon captured from Sebastapol during the Crimean War in 1855, but they were melted down during the Second World War as part of the war effort.
Source: The York Book