‘Numerous cockroaches’ found in York restaurant kitchen by hygiene inspectors

Inspectors found cockroaches at the restaurant on more than one visit. Photograph: Stock
17 Sep 2015 @ 10.31 am
| News

A restaurateur has been fined and banned from managing any food business after inspectors found cockroaches in his restaurant kitchens.

Aminur Rahman owned Jorvik Spice on The Mount, York, between February 2011 and March 2015.

Following council hygiene inspections in July 2014, he was served with an improvement notice.

During another inspection on September 24, officers trapped “numerous cockroaches” York Magistrates’ Court heard. They found insects embedded behind the wall cladding in the kitchen.

They had previously found cockroaches at the restaurant on September 2011.

The inspectors also discovered that instances of poor hygiene and unsafe food hygiene practices were putting the public at risk of food poisoning bug E. coli.

Now a chef

Jorvik Spice on The Mount. Photograph © Google Street View
Jorvik Spice on The Mount. Photograph © Google Street View

Rahman, 44, of Hill Top Mount, Leeds, had earlier been cautioned for serving a Madras dish with beef rather than the lamb which had been ordered.

He had been warned by the council that he was not complying with food hygiene regulations in February 2011 and March 2013.

Magistrates’ fined Rahman £500 with £800 prosecution costs and a £20 court charge.

They also imposed a prohibition order on Rahman at the September 9 hearing, preventing him from participating in the management of any food business.

Rahman had closed the restaurant after the cockroaches were found in September 2014, and he has since sold the restaurant where he is now employed as a chef.

Jorvik Spice currently has a 2 star food hygiene rating.