York Minster incident brought to a safe conclusion

North Yorkshire Police cordoned off an area around York Minster amid concern for a man on the scaffolding on Saturday afternoon.

York officers were first alerted at 2pm on Saturday (November 10).

People were asked to avoid the area. Specially-trained officers went to the scene.

After about four hours the incident was brought to a safe conclusion.

North Yorkshire Police tweeted:

  • Pleased to report that the incident at York Minster has now been brought to a safe conclusion.

    We are arranging for the man involved to get the support he needs.

    Thank you for your patience around the cordons this afternoon.

It is the second similar incident in the last two months.

After that was brought to a safe conclusion, the Minster authorities said the scaffolding had been up for three years without incident.

They said they would be reviewing procedures in the light of what happened.