Pictured – Devastation caused by Haxby blaze which left two residents in hospital

This is the damaged caused by last night’s fire at at a sheltered housing block in Haxby.

Fire crews were called out at 5.52pm on Thursday (June 15) to a fire in a first floor flat at the Jubilee Court complex off Wheatfield Lane.

Two elderly women residents were taken to hospital. They were later discharged.

A firefighter at the scene

Yorkshire Housing owns Jubilee Court. Director of property services David Bolton, said:

We can confirm a fire in a flat at one of our sheltered schemes, Jubilee Court, Haxby, broke out at around 5.30pm on Thursday 14 June.

Our fire alarm safety measures were in place and successfully activated. A small number of customers in the neighbouring flats in the block evacuated safely. We do not yet know the cause and North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service is currently investigating.

We can confirm that all customers are accounted for and there are no reported injuries. Two customers were admitted to hospital as a precautionary measure but they have now been released.

Alternative accommodation arrangements have been made for customers and we are offering additional support where needed.

He couldn’t comment on the level of damage until an inspection had been completed.

Eight people evacuated

Eight fire engines were sent to the scene
There are 28 flats at the complex. Eight residents were evacuated from their homes.

Yorkshire Housing said alternative temporary arrangements have been made – some will stay with family members, some will stay in guest accommodation at Jubilee Court and some will be temporarily re-homed at some of our other close by sheltered/extra care schemes.

Forty firefighters tackled the blaze. Fire engines from Huntington, Acomb, York, Easingwold, Tadcaster and Selby, an aerial ladder from Harrogate and welfare appliances from Thirsk were involved.

Video: Mike Ward

The first floor flat and the the roof of the building were severely damaged.

Fire damage was also caused to the houses next door and the entire building was smoke damaged.

Crews are back at the scene this morning. The cause of the fire is still to be confirmed.