Firefighters called out to kitchen fire in York home

Bishopfields Drive, York. Photograph © Google Street View

Two fire crews were called out to a fire in a York kitchen in the early hours of this morning.

Crews from Acomb and York were called out to the mid-terraced property on Bishopfields Drive at 2.34am on Friday (February 9).

A pile of bedding had been placed on top of the oven. The hob had then been accidentally turned on and as a result the bedding caught fire.

A North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson said:

The fire was out on our arrival but the crews used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the property.

Smoke detectors were fitted, they activated and raised the alarm.