Two fire crews were called out after smoke was seen coming from a flat in York.

Crews from Huntington and Acomb went to the property on Amy Johnson Way after a call at 6.35pm on Saturday (16 March).


Firefighters found a candle that had been left unattended had cracked its glass casing. A report from North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service said:

  • Burning wax on a work surface had caused light smoke logging in the property and crews used two breathing apparatus, thermal imaging camera and a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.

    The fire service led a pet cat to safety from and then ventilated the property. Crews also gave advice to the home owners.