March in York is a fantastic time of the year. A month in which we say goodbye to the worst of the winter weather (usually) and welcome the first days of spring.
March is also the month of the now customary event – McDonalds Monopoly.
Yes, starting on March 20th McDonalds Monopoly is set to return to York. This year marks the 14th anniversary of the event so don’t be surprised if McDonalds have introduced some new features to the event.
Maybe even a special 14th anniversary celebratory McFlurry? Fingers crossed! And don’t forget, thanks to the effort of franchisee John Atherton, the McDonalds branch on Blake Street offers a click and collect service via your mobile phone!
So without further ado, here’s everything you need to know about this year’s McDonalds Monopoly!
When does McDonalds Monopoly begin?
As aforementioned, this year’s game launches in York on Wednesday 20th March 2019.
Great prizes and free food are all you need to know here.
You can play McDonalds Monopoly by purchasing food items. These food items will have stickers on the packaging.
All you have to do is peel back the packaging in order to reveal the stickers. Many of the stickers equate to instant win prizes such as free fries or a free donut.
Other stickers reveal Monopoly properties. By collecting sets of properties, you can win much bigger prizes than simply food including cash. So, make sure never to throw away your property stickers!
What are the prizes?
As usual, McDonalds are keeping their 2019 prizes well-guarded and under lock and key, but no doubt we will be in for a treat, especially if last year’s prizes are anything to go by.
Last year, MacDonald’s Monopoly gave out a whopping 50 million prizes which included Mini Coopers, Now TV passes and 1.5 million meals. Free fries, drinks and the ever glorious McFlurries were also given out.
Last year, if you collected any 10 property stickers, you could exchange them online for a free one-month Now TV pass.
Here’s a breakdown of the prizes you can claim for collecting each property set:
- Brown set – Old Kent Road and Whitechapel Road – McDonalds medium extra value meal
- Light blue set – Angel Islington, Euston Road and Pentonville Road – £30 Missguided voucher
- Pink set – Pall Mall, Whitehall and Northumberland Avenue – Wireless Speaker
- Orange set – Bow Street, Great Marlborough Street and Vine Street – £250 experience with Red Letter Days.
- Red set – Strand, Fleet Street and Trafalgar Square – Xbox One console.
- Yellow set – Leicester Square, Coventry Street and Piccadilly – A trip for four to Universal Studios in Orlando.
- Green set – Regen Street, Oxford Street and Bond Street – Mini Cooper
- Dark blue set – Park Lane and Mayfair – £100,000 cash.
- Train station set – A NowTV smart box and a one-year pass.
Which are the most coveted properties?
The most sought after and rarest properties usually change year by year. But here is a breakdown of the rarest properties from last year, so if you get a hold of one of these in 2019, make sure to keep it and add it to your collection!
- Old Kent Road
- Euston Road
- Northumberland Avenue
- Marlborough Street
- Liverpool Street Station
- Coventry Street
- Bond Street
The best ways to increase your chances of winning
- Learn all there is to know about the game of monopoly. Play the board game with your friends and family, play the different versions of monopoly including monopoly slots as well as the official monopoly of our great city of York and become one with the game.
- Purchase only items that give you stickers (although this means no McNuggets for you as they don’t qualify).
- Make sure you know what the rarest properties are, so you don’t mistakenly throw them away. Who knows, maybe you can sell them to friends, or on eBay?
- Go online to enter your online sticker codes. One of the stickers will always be an online sticker. Don’t be lazy, enter it in online!
Don’t forget, McDonalds Monopoly is something fun. Don’t go in expecting to win the big prizes – they are extremely rare! But if you’re like me and are jumping for joy when you receive a sticker that says free fries on it, then March is set to be a great month for you.
Aside from the McDonalds on Blake Street, you can also play McDonalds monopoly at the franchise outlets in the Clifton Moor Centre and at Monks Cross Shopping Park.
Fans of the game are already counting down the days until the competition begins!