House fire in York – living room damaged in three-storey property

12 Feb 2015 @ 4.35 pm
| News
heslington-road-york-2
Heslington Road. Photograph: Google Street View

Fire crews were called to a fire in Heslington Road, York, on Thursday afternoon (February 12).

Crews from Acomb and Huntington fire stations responded to a call at 1.37pm. A fire in a log basket had spread to a video recorder and DVDs in the living room of a three storey Victorian house.

The occupant had put out the fire with a bucket of water before firefighters arrived. Crews moved the burnt items into the open air and checked the room with a thermal imaging camera.

Smoke and fire damage was restricted to the one room.

No smoke alarms were in the house so crews fitted three before leaving. The cause of the fire is believed to be embers from the fireplace setting the logs alight.