House fire in York blamed on tealight candle

30 Nov 2014 @ 5.24 pm
| News

barley-view-wigginton
Scene of the drama: Barley View, Wigginton
Fire crews were called to a blaze at a house in Wigginton, York on Sunday (November 30).

The living room of a semi-detached house on Barley View was alight when the crew from Huntington Fire Station received the call at just before 2pm.

When they arrived the fire had been put out by the householder using a garden hose.

Damage was caused to an area of wall and a mirror above the fireplace, and to the ceiling. There was also some smoke damage.

The fire is believed to have started when a tealight in an oil burner on the mantlepiece set the wallpaper alight.

Firefighters fitted smoke detectors at the house and gave advice to the occupier.