Fires in a kitchen and outbuilding make it a busy night for York fire crews

Library photograph: YorkMix
21 Jul 2020 @ 8.17 am
| News

Fire crews were called out to several incidents at York homes overnight.

We reported in a separate story how an attempt to burn a wasps nest went wrong. There were two other potentially serious incidents.

10.44pm – Huntington 

Crews from Huntington and York responded to reports of a fire alarm sounding and smoke seen coming from a flat. A hob had been accidentally turned on, setting fire to objects left on top of it. The fire was out on arrival of crews. 

3.11am – off Burton Stone Lane, York 

A crew from Acomb tackled a fire in a stone outbuilding with a wood and slate roof. It resulted in fire damage to a tumble dryer and fire, heat and smoke damage to the roof.

Firefighters used one jet to put the fire out. The cause is believed to be an electrical fault on the tumble dryer. 

There were also false alarms caused by smoke from a greasy oven in a property off Haxby Road in New Earswick and a brazier causing smoke in a garden at 4.24am on Pottery Lane.