Fires damage two York homes in busy night for firefighters

3 Dec 2014 @ 8.11 am
| News
    albert-close-huntington-york
    Albert Close, Huntington. Photograph: Google Street View
    York firefighters had a busy night on Tuesday (December 2) putting out two blazes in city homes.

    The bigger fire broke out in the kitchen of a semi-detached house in Albert Close, Huntington at about 8.30pm.

    Fire engines from Huntington and Acomb were sent to deal with the blaze, which had started in a cooker grill when grease in the pan caught light.

    Two adults, two youths, two children and two dogs had got out of the house before the fire crews arrived. No one was hurt.

    Firefighters extinguished the fire with and cleared the smoke from the house.

    Smoke detectors were fitted but weren’t working because the batteries had run out.

    Flat fire

    campbell-court-york
    The entrance to Campbell Court, off Osbaldwick Lane. Photograph: Google Street View
    About an hour earlier at 7.25pm Huntington and Acomb fire crews had been in action again, tackling a fire in Campbell Court, off Osbaldwick Lane.

    A man in the flat suffered slight smoke inhalation and received a precautionary check up by paramedics at the scene but did not require hospital treatment.

    The fire was in the kitchen of a first floor flat, caused by an unattended wok.

    The kitchen suffered smoke damage.