Firefighters tackle York garage blaze

Library photograph: YorkMix
23 Feb 2020 @ 8.22 am
| News

Firefighters tackled a garage fire in the early hours of this morning.

Crews from Acomb were called out at 2.20am today (Sunday) to the fire in Nether Poppleton.

The garage was attached to a house. Firefighters in breathing apparatus put out the blaze with hose reel jets before it spread to the house.

The fire is believed to have been caused by a discarded cigarette.


Six people in the house were alerted by a smoke alarm, and are safe.

The garage was badly damaged by fire, and there was smoke damage to the house.