Fire at flat in York – one man taken to hospital

Fire and ambulance crews on Fossway in York. Photograph: YorkMix
2 Nov 2016 @ 3.49 pm
| News

A man was taken to hospital after fire broke out at his flat in York.

Fire crews were called out at about 1pm on Wednesday (November 2) to a block of flats on Fossway, off Huntington Road.

The blaze was in a second floor flat.

“Crews made entry into the flat in breathing apparatus and tackled the fire in the kitchen,” said York station manager Dave Winspear, of North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service.

“It was quickly brought under control.”

There was concern that the fire had spread to the roof of the flats. Firefighters used an aerial platform and removed slates from the roof “to douse any burning embers in the roof timbers”.

Police vehicles at the scene
Police vehicles at the scene
York firefighters on Fossway
York firefighters on Fossway
A police officer tapes up a gate giving access to the rear of the property
A police officer tapes up a gate giving access to the rear of the property

The resident of the flat, a man in his 30s, suffered minor burns to his wrist. He was taken to York Hospital for a check up.

Mr Winspear said the cause of the fire was a faulty electrical appliance.

He made this plea: “If people become aware of an appliance that is showing signs of faults, then they should stop using it immediately.”