Claudia Lawrence investigation: Three men arrested on suspicion of murder

Claudia Lawrence: went missing in March 2009
22 Apr 2015 @ 9.25 am
| Crime

Three men have been arrested on suspicion of murder by detectives investigating the disappearance of Claudia Lawrence today (Wednesday).

They are aged in their 50s and from the York area.

Searches are being conducted at a number of properties which are “expected to be ongoing over a number of days”, police say.

This follows the arrest of a local man aged in his 50s on March 23, 2015. He remains on police bail while enquiries continue.

The investigation team would like to stress that Claudia has not been found.

Claudia’s family have been notified about the arrests and are being supported by trained officers.

‘Please show restraint’

Detective Superintendent Dai Malyn, head of North Yorkshire Police’s Major Crime Unit and the senior investigating officer in the Claudia Lawrence inquiry, said:

As with the previous arrest last month, I strongly advise the media and members of the public against identifying the men who have been arrested.

This is to ensure the investigation and legal process are not compromised or potentially damaged in any way.

This includes naming or publishing images of the men, their home addresses, places of work, their vehicles and properties being searched on traditional media platforms or social networking sites.

I urge everyone to again show restraint and patience while we carry out these very important enquiries. Your co-operation and support is greatly appreciated by the investigation team.

The investigation so far

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 The last time anyone heard from Claudia Lawrence

Friday, March 20, 2009 She is reported missing by her father on after concerns were raised when the chef failed to turn up for her 6am shift at the University of York on the Thursday.

October 2013 North Yorkshire Police’s Major Crime Unit starts actively reviewing and investigating the Claudia Lawrence case

March 19, 2014 New clues are revealed on the fifth anniversary of Claudia’s disappearance, including DNA from an unidentified man in her car

in May 2014 A 60-year-old man is arrested on suspicion of murder. He is later released from his bail.

March 18, 2015 New CCTV footage is released showing a figure near Claudia’s house from the night of her disappearance, exactly six years before

July 2014 A 47-year-old man is also arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice. He is released from police bail on April 14, 2015.

Monday, March 23, 2015 A man in his 50s from York is arrested on suspicion of murdering Claudia. He is released on police bail on March 24, 2015 to allow detectives time to follow up lines of inquiry

April 22, 2015 Three men are arrested on suspicion of murder

Police said no further details relating to the arrests will be provided at this stage of the investigation.

Anyone with information that could help the investigation should contact North Yorkshire Police: details below.

north-yorkshire-police-logo-25How to help the police

Call North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 1, and pass details to the Force Control Room
Or Crimestoppers 0800 555 111
Fill in the anonymous Crimestoppers form here
Quote “Claudia Lawrence” when passing on details