Boy, 12, rescued from second floor window after York house fire

Grosvenor Terrace, York, Photograph © Google Street View
21 Nov 2015 @ 10.52 am
| News
Grosvenor Terrace, York, Photograph © Google Street View
Grosvenor Terrace, York, Photograph © Google Street View

Firefighters rescued a 12-year-old boy from the second floor of his house after fire broke out downstairs.

Engines from York and Acomb were called to the property on Grosvenor Terrace at about 11.30pm on Friday (November 20).

A fire had broken out in the kitchen on the first floor.

A North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said “two young males were in the property at the time of the fire.

“One was able to escape from his second floor rear bedroom and was out of the property on the arrival of the fire service.”

However the 12-year-old boy was trapped by smoke in a second floor front bedroom.

The spokesperson said:

He was given survival advice by the fire control operator before being rescued via the window by firefighters using breathing apparatus and a nine-metre ladder.

Smoke detectors were fitted in the property and they had activated. The cause is believed to be a faulty toaster.