Walmgate Bar may not have changed much since the 15th century (although it is being upgraded as we write).
But the surrounding streetscape has. Long gone are the pens for the cattle market which dominated this corner of town for many years. In their place – a huge tree!
A more modern building has replaced the big one on the right hand side, and we’ve added a whole lot of street clutter in the intervening years between both photos.
It’s clear that Lendal Bridge has had a coat or two of paint since the first picture was taken. Also the big difference is how far the bank on the near side was built out.
The imposing brick building across the river, now Pizza Express, would have been the Yorkshire Club back then. And what looks a little like a hut on the bridge is what today houses Circles Café, now boast a stone exterior.
Ah the classic picture postcard view of York, looking from above Station Rise. Modern safety considerations have seen a fence added all the way along the city walls.
The other big change is on the right of the picture. In place of Aviva is Leedham’s Garage, built in 1962.
King’s Square then and now. This leads to a fun game of “spot the old shop”. On the right of the old pic is the Cussins & Light electrical store, which opened in June 1934 in the corner premises now occupied by Boots the Chemist.
And the pastie palace of Thomas The Baker used to be the Star Cleaners. Meanwhile that spindly sapling has grown into a hefty tree.
Our Lady’s Row dates from 1316 and is the oldest surviving row of houses in York. The ancient street looks in a lot better nick now than it did then.
It looks to us as though what is now the rubber stamps show was Trinity Antiques, which would make sense given its proximity to Holy Trinity Church.
York Minster and College Green
The artist who did the drawing of College Green was fortunate not to have the scaffolding obscuring their view of the Minster.
A set of railings give a more claustrophobic feel to what is now a lovely open space.